Guardian Article on Myths about The Pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
MeditationBowl
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him

Guardian Article on Myths about The Pill

Unread post by MeditationBowl »

Hello!

I saw this article - https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... eight-gain - in the Guardian recently, and I was wondering if everything in it is accurate? Some of the information is stuff I already knew, or things that I've learned from this website and similar resources. However, there are other things that I hadn't heard before. For example, the article points out that the withdrawal bleed is not the same as menstruation, which I knew, but it also says that someone could be pregnant and still have a withdrawal bleed, which I didn't know.

I wonder about that one because when my partner and I have discussed contraception options, she has said that one of the things she likes about the pill is that she still sort of has her "period" each month, which is extra reassurance that the contraception is working. If that isn't true, I wonder if I should bring it up with her in case she wants to reassess our options. I'm interested in the other items in the article as well, but that one is the main one for me right now. Could I get some help with fact-checking?

Thank you!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Guardian Article on Myths about The Pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Meditation Bowl,

Generally, we ask users to evaluate articles like that using these two tools: Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online, Literacy Is Power: How To Get Yourself a Kick-Butt BS Detector. After all, we can't answer for or explain why other people choose to write certain things about sex or sexual health. That being said, if someone is on the pill and become pregnant, they likely will not have a withdrawal bleed. Heather goes over why that is in this article: Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers).

So, if your girlfriend is leaning towards the pill as an option, I don't think this one article should dissuade her if she's determined it's the best match for her needs.
MeditationBowl
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him

Unread post by MeditationBowl »

Thanks Sam! I looked at the birth control bingo article, but I missed those ones. I will take a look.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic