Period... or something more?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
the_kumquat1
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Period... or something more?

Unread post by the_kumquat1 »

I'm not sure if this topic belongs here, but I have a very irregular period and never really know when it's going to come. I had unprotected car sex 4 days ago and started bleeding afterwards and thought it was my period so I put on a pad afterwards. The next day I went to change my pad and there was no blood. Same when I went to change it again later that day. I've been wearing a pad since just in case but I figured it ws a false alarm and had sex again yesterday, but I started bleeding again after just some fingering. We stopped and I went back and put on a pad again, but everytime i go to change it out, there's no blood. Is this normal? It's enough blood to soak through my underwear after some penetration, but it goes away soon after. Should I get tested for STIs?
the_kumquat1

Re: Period... or something more?

I guess I should add that I didn't know the person I had unprotected sex with. He said he was clean, but the more I think about it the more I'm worrying. How can I schedule an appointment with my doctor without my parents knowing if I am over 18 but under my parent's insurance?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kumquat,

We can't say for certain what's causing the bleeding, as it could a variety of things. I do want to check, was there any pain during sex either time that came before the bleeding?

That being said, getting an STI test after unprotected sex with someone where you're not sure of their STI status is a good step in taking care of yourself (doubly so given how many people assume they're STI negative without testing to confirm that). Since you're worried about privacy, what you can do is call a sexual health clinic in your area ahead of time and ask them how you would go about paying for STI testing if you don't want it to show up on your parents insurance. Do you know of a clinic in your area, or is that something you'd like help locating?

Too, given that this was unprotected, were you using some form of contraception that wasn't a condom?
the_kumquat1

I wasn't using any form of contraception unfortunately and the first penetration was my first time. I don't remember feeling any particular pain and I was sufficiently lubricated both times. I tried fingering myself to see if it would bleed again and it didn't, and I'm not sure what's going on now. I think there's a planned parenthood clinic near me that I can call about STI testing, as I'm getting worried about my sexual health.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Okay, so when you go in for an STI test, you can mention the bleeding as one of the things causing you concern (it could be you just got a small tear or cut during sex, but since we can't diagnose via the internet it will be best if you mention it to a healthcare provider). If no contraception at all was used, then there was also a pregnancy risk as well as an STI risk. You may still be within the window for emergency contraception (you can take it up to 72 hours after an incident), and if that's an option you wish to pursue we can help you find EC near you.
the_kumquat1

Thank you for your help! I'll schedule an appointment with my healthcare provider to check up on any tears or abrasions and will look around clinics in my area for a screening. I think my university may offer some screening discounts as well. I was hopeful that I got my period because then I wouldn't be able to get pregnant, right? We only messed around a bit and he pulled out way before anything happened because he realized it was risky. Plan B is expensive so I want to avoid giving to buy it as much as possible. Thanks again for your advice!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

That sounds like an excellent plan for finding sexual healthcare. In terms of the pregnancy risk, if he pulled out prior to ejaculation you can figure you had the level of protection offered by withdrawal, which you can read about here: Withdrawal . Depending on how much risk you're comfortable with, you may still want to seek out Plan B before the 72 hours is up. Beyond that, this guide can help walk you through your next steps: The Pregnancy Panic Companion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic