Storing Birth Control Pills

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
fairyfirefly
Pronouns: she/her

Storing Birth Control Pills

Unread post by fairyfirefly »

I am currently taking a progestin-only birth control pill. My boyfriend and I just came back from a camping trip where we stayed in a van in weather ranging from -4 F to probably around 40 F, and I stored my pills in their original blister pack in a plastic bag with my toiletries. I've just gotten back from the trip and I was reading the package of my birth control and realized that the instructions said that the pills should be stored around room temperature. Usually I store them in a drawer in my bedroom so this has never been an issue and is something I've never considered; definitely an oversight on my part. We did have sex during this trip without any other forms of birth control and now I'm worried that storing my pills in the cold messed with their effectiveness. I've looked online and found information about how hotter temperatures can reduce the pills effectiveness, but not much info about cold temperatures. Somehow colder temperatures seem like they would affect the pills differently than hotter temperatures, but maybe that's just me. I'm wondering if I have reason to worry, or if I am likely fine in this regard. Please let me know!
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Storing Birth Control Pills

Unread post by al »

Hi there fairyfirefly, and welcome to Scarleteen!

This is a good question, and one that's best suited for the pharmacist or healthcare provider that gave you the pill. In general, we tend to be more concerned about extremely hot temperatures rather than cold ones (because ingredients are often heated up to be combined, and can be broken down the same way). But we're not the experts on this particular medication, and your best bet is usually to go directly the source.

In the meantime, it might be a good idea to use a backup method (condoms, spermicide, or withdrawal) or avoiding activities that carry a pregnancy risk until you have that answer. Birth Control Bingo: Minipills has the more info as to how the progestin-only pill works, and if you want to know more about what does and doesn't constitute a pregnancy risk at Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass on an STI From That?. Hope this helps!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic