Is this normal?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Amy123456
Awesomeness Quotient: My hair
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Is this normal?

Unread post by Amy123456 »

I started taking the pill 3 months ago and I have only just started getting side effects of it feeling sick, cramps, between period bleeding, increased appitte, hot flushes, moodyness, irritability, more frequent urination, constipation, diarrhoea, headaches, tender breasts, lightheaded, dizzy and I’m always tired, even when I haven’t done anything.

I was taking it on time for the first two months but took a few late in the third month and missed 1 day, but I took that pill the next day. I’ve had a cold almost the whole time I’ve been taking the pill.

While I’ve been taking the pill I’ve been having sex with my boyfriend.

Is it normal to only start getting these side effects after 3 months of taking the pill?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is this normal?

Unread post by Heather »

It's most common for people to have the strongest side effects within the first three months, but everyone's metabolisms and such are so different that they really can happen anytime. And it might also be for you that since you've been sick with something else the whole time, you haven't noticed these effects so much because your body has been so preoccupied with illness.

However, that sounds like an awful lot of side effects for you to be having to me, and some of them aren't things typically associated with pill use. So, my best advice would be to go see a healthcare provider and tell them about all the illness of the last few months and now all this new stuff. It may be you have something else going on entirely that isn't about the pill at all.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic