Youth Friendly - Low Cost- Sexual Health Resources?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Tommy, Tommy
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Him
Sexual identity: Straight

Youth Friendly - Low Cost- Sexual Health Resources?

Unread post by Tommy, Tommy »

Can Anyone give me the name of confidential Youth Friendly - Low Cost- Sexual Health Resources?

Update: Asked because because I may need some medical advice on regarding ‘down there’
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Youth Friendly - Low Cost- Sexual Health Resources?

Unread post by Heather »

We'd need some more information! Like, what kind of resource or care are you looking for specifically: sounds like you're asking about in-person healthcare?

If so, we need to also know where you're at more specifically (a zip code works great), and then if you have insurance, medicare/medicaid or plan to pay cash for anything where there is a cost to you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Tommy, Tommy
not a newbie

Heather wrote:We'd need some more information! Like, what kind of resource or care are you looking for specifically: sounds like you're asking about in-person healthcare?

If so, we need to also know where you're at more specifically (a zip code works great), and then if you have insurance, medicare/medicaid or plan to pay cash for anything where there is a cost to you.
I am asking about in person healthcare yes! I am asking for sexual health care for my penis, as I have been having rashs, irritation, and the tip hurts when I pee. I have health insurance, but I don’t want my parents to know I am getting sexual healthcare. I don’t have much money, but I can pay a little in cash. Sorry for TMI. Zip code is: 02101
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Tommy, Tommy

You have a couple of options. One is to go to your usual healthcare provider and speak to them; if you need help from your parents to access an appointment, you don't have to tell them what it's for.

Otherwise, there are a bunch of places in Boston that offer free STI screenings. That's not to say this is an STI, but screenings would generally come with a physical exam if you have symptoms and they should be able to provide advice either way.

There is a list of places here: http://bphc.org/whatwedo/sexual-health/ ... ested.aspx . Some of them are focused on chlamydia screening and some more general, so it's worth calling ahead and checking what to expect and what services they offer for free. I would be tempted to try the STD clinic at the Mass General hospital first, or if you are a Boston Public High School student, your school may have a School-Based Health Center or Health Resource Center - you can find out more by calling (617) 534-5198.

So you know, by law in Massachusetts you can get screened confidentially, without parental permission from age 13. More on that here: http://bphc.org/whatwedo/sexual-health/ ... ested.aspx
Tommy, Tommy
not a newbie

Does the clinic have to tell my parents, I know that I can get tested without their permission, But can the clinic tell my parents? Will it show up on my medical record, if so, will my parents be able to see that?
Robin
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual/queer, in a complicated sort of way

Unread post by Robin »

No, the clinic doesn't have to tell your parents.

In some states, healthcare providers are allowed to contact the parents if they think it's in the best interest of the patient. You can read more about that here and check to see if your state is one of those that allows this: https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy ... i-services
When you call or go to the clinic to find out about getting an appointment you can ask the person at the front desk about this, and anything else you're wondering about. You can then decide if you feel comfortable seeing a doctor or other healthcare provider at that clinic.

As far as the testing or examination being on a medical record where your parents would see it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic