Mirena

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
kmcmizzle
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm caring!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Mirena

Unread post by kmcmizzle »

Hi!

Quick backstory: I'm sexually active and have had the Mirena IUD since the end of April 2018. So far, I love how low maintenance it is and how easy the string check is. To this point, I've had the IUD placement checked a couple of times and I can typically always feel the strings when I go looking for them. I have not had a period since after the first week of placement.

However, every time I have a symptom that mimics pregnancy I FREAK out. Whether it's a headache, my back aches a little, or my nipples feel a little sore, I get anxious and really wish I would have a monthly period to rule out pregnancy. (Is it normal to experience sore nipples on IUD? It's nothing major, but hurts a bit if directly touched).

I regularly take pregnancy tests but I'm scared they're not accurate. I guess my main question here is that if I can feel my IUD strings and nothing seems abnormal, then is it safe to assume my IUD is working and doing it's job to keep my body baby free?
Robin
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual/queer, in a complicated sort of way

Re: Mirena

Unread post by Robin »

Hi Kmcmizzle,

When you've had the placement checked by your healthcare provider, have you felt comfortable asking them these questions? As your healthcare provider,they'll have the answers you're looking for. Plus, it's important for them to know that you're feeling less than comfortable with the birth control method you were prescribed. Know what I mean?

Sore nipples can happen when your hormonal levels change, which they do all the time. Everything we do affects how our hormones act in our bodies, from how much sleep we get, to our eating schedule, to how much stress we're under, to a lot more besides. Our hormones still fluctuate when we're taking hormonal birth control.

I hear you expressing a whole lot of uncertainty about the birth control method you're using. Sometimes when people are feeling unsure about their birth control, even when they know all the facts about its effectiveness, it can mean that it's not the righth method for them right now.

What do you think about talking about other birth control options? Have you tried other methods in the past?

Here's a link to get you started thinking about birth control options. There's an article about the IUD in there if you need a refresher on how to use it most effectively, etc.

Birth Control Bingo!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic