Okay but how do you shop for a sex toy???

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Pandora
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty good at art!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Okay but how do you shop for a sex toy???

Unread post by Pandora »

I’m turning 18 in like three weeks. I’ve been looking foreword to this because it means I can go to one of the lingerie and “novelty” stores around town and shop for a sex toy. (Or just go to Spencer’s idk.)

But I don’t know how to use one, I don’t know my preferences, and I don’t know whether it’s customary for a noob like myself to get the rundown from an employee.
Would it be inappropriate if I asked whoever works there to tell me how these things are supposed to work and what I should start out with? Because I don’t really have a trusted adult that I can ask these questions to.

Also, how much should I expect to spend on my first vibrator or whatever?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Okay but how do you shop for a sex toy???

Unread post by Mo »

Some "novelty" type stores might have staff who are knowledgeable about different vibrators, but that won't necessarily be the case. There are stores that tend to have employees who know more about the products and can give recommendations; if you search for terms like "feminist/woman-friendly sex shop" in your area, that's often a way to find them if there are any around.
One thing you might try, too, is doing some research online; a lot of the aforementioned friendlier shops have websites with information on how to choose a vibrator or even curated lists of "beginner-friendly" vibrators. You could try ordering online, or use those sites as research so that you have a better idea of what you might want when you go to a store near you. Some stores will have display models of toys out of packaging that you can look at in the store and some won't, but being able to look at or hold a toy before buying it can be important to some people.

Often the vibrators that are recommended for beginners are more basic; some models can get VERY pricey so it can be good to start with something more basic so you get an idea of what kind of vibrator you might like. A lot of people start with a "bullet" or "egg" type vibrator, which is a kind that's small and pretty inexpensive; you can likely find those for about 20-30 dollars. Do keep in mind that cheaper vibrators are often made of materials that can't be completely washed or sterilized, so covering them with a condom when you use them is a good idea.
Pandora
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty good at art!
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Unread post by Pandora »

T h a n k y o u s o m u c h
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

You're welcome! I hope you find one you like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic