Very light period after starting pill!

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
391SLEANNE01
Pronouns: She/her

Very light period after starting pill!

Unread post by 391SLEANNE01 »

Hiya!
I had the Mirena coil for around a year and 3 months and during this time I didn't have a period at all. I decided to have the coil removed as I wasn't too happy with it and went back on the pill (note: prior to having the coil I had been on the pill for around 3 years). I'm on the combined pill and during my week 'off' I had a very, very light period/withdrawal bleed. I can't find any infomation online, but I'm wondering if this was a normal occurrence after not having any sort of period for such a long time? I suppose it's more than likely my periods/withdrawal bleeds wouldn't return to my 'norm' immeadiately?

Thanks guys!
Alice M
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: my boundaries
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bi/pan

Re: Very light period after starting pill!

Unread post by Alice M »

Hi! Experiencing a light withdrawal bleed is a very common side effect of the combined pill, regardless of your prior birth control use. The Mirena can cause bleeding to be irregular, and it may take a bit for you to adjust post-removal. Our bodies can be sort of unpredictable with such things, and it's possible that your body will react differently now than it did in the past.

Of course, if you are concerned or anxious about this -- especially if your withdrawal bleeds continue to feel abnormal to you -- a check in with your healthcare provider is a great idea.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic