Does spermicide have any effectiveness after sex?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Arasia
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Does spermicide have any effectiveness after sex?

Unread post by Arasia »

Vaginal application gels or foams are meant to be used before intercourse occurs. However, I was wondering if they reduce pregnancy risk at all, if applied soon after intercourse? I haven't been able to find any info--is it that no studies have been done on the matter? Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Does spermicide have any effectiveness after sex?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Arasia,

According to our article on Spermicides "they are even more likely to fail if they are not inserted before intercourse, or early enough for some methods -- namely, film -- also sometimes called VCF -- or suppositories, which are not effective instantly like foam or jellies are." In other words, you don't see people really discussing using a spermicide after sex because it makes the method less effective.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just to be clear, once sperm cells get into the cervix, which is almost immediate after ejaculation, spermicide can’t do anything, because it is in the vagina, not inside the cervix or the rest of the uterus.

In order for spermicide to work, it has to have contact with the sperm cells. It can’t do that used after intercourse (presuming you also mean after ejaculation) because the best of those cells - which are the ones with the capacity to fertilize an egg - have already moved past the vagina and into the cervix.

Make sense?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Arasia
not a newbie

Unread post by Arasia »

Yep, makes sense. Thank you for the replies!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic