Gynecological exam

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
JackHamilton
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Sexual identity: Transgender man,bisexual,homoromantic

Gynecological exam

Unread post by JackHamilton »

Hi guys! How are you? :)

So,I wrote my problem and question all in details but then I logged off and everything deleted itself.So I'll do this again.
I need to have a gynecological exam done.But I tried 2 times already and failed ,because I was too scared that it will hurt me and that the gynecologist will harm my genitalia by accident.So,how do I overcome my fear from exam/PAPA test? Also,does it hurt? Also,If I'm not ready to have a doctor touch my genitalia,does that also mean that I'm not ready to have vaginal sex with a man,too?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Gynecological exam

Unread post by Heather »

Well, a healthcare provider isn't likely to do harm to your genitals by providing you healthcare. As well, bimanual exams and pap smears are not usually painful, though some people find them uncomfortable.

However, you have these fears, and for sure, exams with that kind of anxiety can be a pretty awful experience AND if you're afraid, something that would otherwise not be painful can be.

What you can do is make clear ahead of an appointment -- to the doctor or their staff -- that you have extreme anxiety about the exam. You can ask them what they can do for you with that. They might offer you an anti-anxiety medication. They might offer to talk you through the exam as you go. They might just be really slow and gradual or, if you prefer, be as quick as they can be. They will probably ask you what you think might help.

Being fearful of sexual healthcare doesn't necessarily mean being fearful of sex (period, or with people of a certain gender). For some people, yes, for others, nope. But that's a question only you are going to know the answer to, not something we can tell you. We can't tell you what you do or don't feel afraid of or ready for.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic