Low Libido

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Nonsequitur
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’ve survived a week without crying
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her, They/Them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Low Libido

Unread post by Nonsequitur »

Ever since I’ve been on birth control, my libido has been very low. Which is no surprise, it’s a common side effect.
I don’t want to change prescriptions (since I use hormonal birth control for cystic acne. I don’t feel comfortable transitioning to something like Accutane.)
Is there any alternatives to increase your libido?
It seems like I’m sexually fustrated since I don’t think about times to satisfy myself nowadays.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Low Libido

Unread post by Heather »

Well, it's probably not likely just about your pill. That can influence things, for sure, but the desire for sex is often far more interpersonal and whole-life-stuff than it is merely chemical, and in the ways it is chemical, that's also about much more than just estrogen/progesterone/testosterone, the hormones the pill alters.

Too, just because someone masturbates less, or thinks about when they will masturbate less doesn't mean a person is sexually frustrated, or that something is wrong. It's very common for the desire for sex, alone and with others, to fluctuate a lot throughout life, and for there to be times when it just isn't a big priority.

I'm feeling like you're posting kind of assuming something is a problem rather than actually experiencing a problem. In other words, if you don't have much interest in sex right now, how is that impacting you? Are you feeling like masturbating less right now (as I recall, you don't have or want sexual relationships with partners yet) is problematic for you?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
AngelColvin
not a newbie
Pronouns: He
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by AngelColvin »

It could be caused by the side effects of the pills and troubles in the interplay of sex hormones. I think you should take a consult with a doctor.
What about increasing libido, I want to share with you an article about it. [LINK REMOVED], maybe you will find some useful information.
Last edited by Jacob on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link to libido pill website
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Angel, I actually think it can be pretty counterproductive to recommend people medicate against something like a lowered sex drive. People experience libido in all kinds of ways and I don't think any of them should be treated as an illness.

I removed the link you posted to a website promoting pills etc!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic