Scheduled Upgrades: 4/2/24
You may notice some downtime today as we perform some very exciting upgrades. Apologies for any convenience. We should be back in no time.

Birth Control Causing Weird Period?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
sarbear12
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a pretty funny gal!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Birth Control Causing Weird Period?

Unread post by sarbear12 »

Alrighty, so I've been on the birth control pill Junel Fe (3 weeks active, one week sugar) since February 2018. My periods before getting on it were awful, really heavy, long, terrible cramps, multiple times a month, so the only reason I wanted BC was to regulate my period! Started taking Junel Fe, and they continued to be sporadic, sometimes once a month, most of the time twice a month, random breakthrough bleeding, but they did get lighter compared to how they used to be. Within the last 4 months (since May), they've gotten way lighter and lined up with the sugar pills week, and this month it's almost like I'm not bleeding at all. I've experienced all the symptoms I get when on my period for 2 weeks leading up to it, but I've basically been spotting all week (I'm talkin super light you guys). Is this normal?? I've been wanting to change prescriptions for several months now but I'm worried changing is going to make my period even wackier than it has been already. Please send a confused gal some advice!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control Causing Weird Period?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Sarbear,

Yep, what you're experiencing is one of the known side effects of the pill. It's typical for some people on the pill to experience lighter periods (although technically what you experience is a withdrawal bleed). So what you're experiencing is likely the various side effects of the pill.

If you're considering switching prescriptions, I'd suggest bringing up your concerns about more cycle variation during a conversation with your healthcare provider. Too, if you're considering that another method would be a better fit for you than the pill, that's something we can give you more information about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic