Birth Control + Taking Other Medicines?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
backpackergirl
Pronouns: she/her

Birth Control + Taking Other Medicines?

Unread post by backpackergirl »

Hello!

I'm on the mini pill and all is well and fine, except that I have an unrelated stomach issue which requires to take a laxative (nothing unhealthy, just a normal one-in-a-while occurrence). Can I take the laxative hours after taking the pill w/o worry about it affecting the pill's absorption in my body or are there other considerations I should take?

Thank you!
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Birth Control + Taking Other Medicines?

Unread post by Siân »

Hi backpackergirl!

Usually when prescribing any medication a doctor will ask you if you're taking anything else so they can figure out if there might be any interactions - did you mention the minipill to the healthcare provider you got the laxative from? If you did, and they said it was ok then you should be able to safely assume it's fine. Otherwise, the first port of call would be a medical professional for a definitive answer.

You can also read the information leaflet that came with your two medications for a big of background. If your laxative is causing diarrhea (you have had a pattern, over more than a day, of loose, watery stools) your body may not absorb your pill completely, so you should use a backup method during and for at least one week after your symptoms subside. Note the "pattern over more than a day" bit of that sentence (from Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic