Birth control and plan B

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
MSNex
Pronouns: She/her

Birth control and plan B

Unread post by MSNex »

Hey!
I took plan B yesterday. I won't get into details of my pregnancy scare, I know I can't on here :/ but there is still that smaaall possibility I don't end up pregnant so I have to ask.

I don't handle birth control pills well. I've been on three kinds of them (high - dose, low - dose and one kind that was taken for 24 days and had 4 days off the pills) and with all of them I had the same symptomps - I was fine the entire month but in the first week of new pack (just after finishing my menstruation) I was horribly nauseous, sometmes spent the entire night vomiting, I had night sweats, my head was spinning and I was shaking. It always happened in the first week, lasted one or two days and I was cmpletely fine for the rest of the month. It was so bad it interfered with my school and work so I went off the pill. My gynecologist said it's weird because BC usually causes problem in third week, when the hormones are at it's peak. Last kind of BC even caused urinary trackt problems so bad I need to have a surgery.

BUT last night after plan B I expected horryfying nausea and nothing. I am completely fine, almost if I didn't take anything. And I took both pills from plan B pack at once because at the pharmacy I was told they work better if taken at once.

Since I am allergic to latex I really wish I could take BC. I thought I can't but now I am confused. How is it possible I can't handle BC but I handle high dose of hormones in plan B just fine? Isn't there any BC that works on the similiar principle as plan B? Is there someone in smiliar situation as me (feeling sick in the first week of taking the pills) and how did you handle it?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control and plan B

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi MSNex,

We can't say for certain why your body responded to Plan B one way and a standard BC pill pack another way (it's possible something about Plan B doesn't hit a threshold in your body the same way a month of pill use did).

Since it sounds like a latex allergy has been preventing you from using condoms, did you know that there are condoms that are latex-free? You can find external ("male" condoms) that are non-latex, and internal condoms ("female" condoms) that are always latex free.

If you're also looking to use hormonal birth control, did your gynecologist ever talk to you about options besides the pill? If not, are those options you'd be interested in exploring?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic