The harder I train the worse my period cramps get

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Goofy
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to dance
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

The harder I train the worse my period cramps get

Unread post by Goofy »

I participate in a sport that develops/requires a lot of core and upper body strength. It seems to me that my increased training over the last few months while making me feel better mentally and physically most of the time is taking it's toll the first couple days of my period. The cramps can be controlled with OTC medication so I'm not too worried but every month it takes me by surprise. I am slowly getting better at getting ahead of the pain and feeling comfortable using meds. Is there any science out there that says building muscle can be related to worse cramps? I am in my early twenties now, but when I was in my teens and not athletic at all I could control my cramps with just some light stretching and massaging pressure points.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: The harder I train the worse my period cramps get

Unread post by Heather »

I have never seen any study or medical information that suggests that. I’d personally figure that this probably isn’t related to your training.

It’s typical for periods not to stay the same in a host of different ways throughout life, so having changes with things like cramps from time to time tends to be a given. Since OTC analgesics work for your cramps, I assume they’re pretty mild?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic