IUD Effectiveness

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
HarperTheWriter
Awesomeness Quotient: I try to include everyone.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

IUD Effectiveness

Unread post by HarperTheWriter »

So my boyfriend and I have been dating for two years, we were both virgins when we started dating, we've both been tested and we're both clean. We've been sexually active for a few months and I've had my IUD for a little over a year. We usually use condoms with it, not because we're worried about STD's but just for an extra precaution for pregnancy (he likes the condoms as he's very worried about me getting pregnant). Long story short we were making out the other day, and it was leading to sex, and one thing happened and then another and we ended up having sex without a condom. He pulled out but was still freaking out, saying I would get pregnant and this and that. Since then he's shown little interest in sex.

I'm open to sex without a condom as I've done my research and know the IUD is very effective with or without a condom, and I've shown him sources saying this but he still freaks out. Any advice? And what are your opinions on sex using an IUD with and without a condom?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: IUD Effectiveness

Unread post by Heather »

I'm not sure our/my opinions on that are what matter here, because this is about what you and your partner want and need. It sounds like he pretty clearly only feels comfortable still using condoms.

Do I have that right? If so, I'm curious about what you're looking for here and why you're trying, if I am getting this right, to convince your partner not to use them when he wants to. Are you having an issue with condoms -- like an allergy or something else -- being used? If so, what is that issue?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic