bacterial vaginosis probiotics?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
CatC
Awesomeness Quotient: funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: men

bacterial vaginosis probiotics?

Unread post by CatC »

Hi everyone,

I've posted earlier this week about vaginal discharge and i ended doing some research to figure out what was going on. I've come across some pretty interesting things and would like to have your opinion. If you scroll down on this page there is a table with all Types of Abnormal Discharge and Their Possible Causes which i've found particularly useful. I've come to self-diagnose myself with a bacterial vaginosis. Continuing my research i found probiotics have proven effective in preventing this disgusting infection, an ad for probiotics for bv (link removed - HC) caught my eye particularly. I'm wondering if any of you have been in my situation and could share your insight?

Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: bacterial vaginosis probiotics?

Unread post by Heather »

I'd suggest starting with a sexual/reproductive healthcare provider instead of staying on the internet and trying to be your own.

Honestly, you aren't likely to be able to self-diagnose BV very well on your own, especially if you haven't had it before. And even if you're right, you'll want to make sure it's treated properly, not try some experimental things which may leave you with it -- or another kind of infection if this isn't BV -- for longer.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
CatC
Awesomeness Quotient: funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: men

Unread post by CatC »

Thanks Heather,
the symptoms from one infection to another seem pretty straightforward to diagnose, before you ordering the probiotics i did some research because you seemed in disbelief, turns out these probiotics were clinically proven https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20659602 to reduce the risk of BV. i'll stick with them.
Last edited by CatC on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Well, they're really not for people who have not had those infections and had them diagnosed from a professional before, so just for other readers -- and you, if you're curious -- this isn't something we'd suggest, particularly since untreated infections can spread to other organs and probiotics are also not yet a treatment for BV proven clearly or consistently to be effective by study (some examples of where study is at on that here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17633390). And if you never get tested, you also can't even know if your infection was treated: sometimes symptoms from an infection subside, but the infection still remains.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic