IUD and the pill?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Kitzat
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight

IUD and the pill?

Unread post by Kitzat »

My mum has no clue that I’m sexually active. If she did she’d flip (she’s catholic you see haha) but id like to be extra safe and get an IUD, however I’ve heard they can worsen menstrual cramps and I get pretty terrible cramps. Would going on the pill help relieve cramps I could get from an IUD? I’m interested because I’ve heard it’s the most effective form of contraception :)
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: IUD and the pill?

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Kitzat welcome to Scarleteen!

IUDs and the implant are up top when it comes to effectiveness in hormonal methods. The most effective option however would be to combine any of these methods with condoms, which will have the benefit of adding STI protection, and whittling down the likelihood of unwanted pregnancy to a smidge.

Have you looked through our Birth Control Bingo! resource?

When it comes to side-effects of the various methods, it really is very individual. However you can have an IUD or implant removed if they aren't working for you, and oral contraceptives, or the Ring are other methods you can stop yourself if you need to.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Atonement
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Cis-gender woman, Hetero

Unread post by Atonement »

I thought I'd chime in, as that is sort of what I am currently doing.

I had been using the Nuvaring for several years, and loved how my cycle was with it. But I had had some inconsistencies with changing it when I was supposed to, and wouldn't be getting a level of pregnancy prevention I was comfortable with in the event that I had partnered sex.

After a lot of discussion with my PCP and OBGYN, I decided to continue the Nuvaring, but get the Copper IUD.

It's actually only been a couple weeks since I had the IUD inserted (which was no where near my scheduled period). Even with the nuvaring in, I still had a considerable amount of cramping the first few days, and am still having occasional cramping and intermittent bleeding, even though it isn't time for my withdrawl week from the Nuvaring yet.

It's still really early in the game, and I probably won't be able to know for sure if I would recommend it for another couple months. But I think its safe to say that a certain amount of discomfort is likely.
Jellyfish777
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm creative!!
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight and cis

Unread post by Jellyfish777 »

If I may add to this as well, I had horrendous cramps and, pardon the gross thing I’m about to say, a waterfall of blood every time I’d get my period on the pill. I had a very poor experience with the pill, so I switched to the IUD!! No bleeding, and my cramps are now pretty minimal. However, that’s just one story! Every person reacts differently, but I absolutely love everything about the IUD! You don’t have to worry about timing withza pill either or about long term prescriptions or anything. I hope you can figure out what works best for you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic