Gentle Moisturizing Lotion

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
TheConfusedOne
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm A Rider. Nuff Said.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi-Curious

Gentle Moisturizing Lotion

Unread post by TheConfusedOne »

Hi,

This is my first winter and throughout the season, I've been suffering from extremely dry skin. I've been using Lubriderm for my body, but I've been worried about using it on my labia and perineum... yep, dry skin there too... Not only have I been itching like crazy from dry skin, but when they crack and split... ouch! Which also means it's a bad idea to just start lathering on any random lotion so close to such a sensitive area (heck, lubes burn me!). I want to avoid infections on top of all that splitting dry skin.

Today was the last straw, my nipple started itching as if I was 10yo again with my boobs growing and stretching. I'm pretty much dry skin ALL OVER :x Grrrr!

So what I wanna know is: Is there a moisturizing lotion that you guys would recommend to be safe to apply on sensitive areas? I'd prefer a lotion that doesn't leave a slimy film, it's bad enough I hate feeling wet and slimy 'down below'. I know Cetaphil's gentle wash is safe to use on my menstrual cup, which means it's gentle enough to go in me. What about their lotion? Is that as gentle as the wash? Does it leave a slimy film?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Gentle Moisturizing Lotion

Unread post by Heather »

Plain coconut oil is excellent for hydrating your skin AND healthy and safe for your genitals as well. If you put it on lightly (a little really does go a long way), after you bathe, it sinks in pretty fast. It can even be used as a lubricant (though not with latex). You can generally find it in the same place you find olive and other oils at the grocery store.

If you want another natural addition you could make to that to help retain moisture, adding shea butter on top -- also safe for all your bits -- is something you can do.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
TheConfusedOne
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm A Rider. Nuff Said.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi-Curious

Unread post by TheConfusedOne »

Oh, I didn't think of using natural oils! Good idea! Where can I find shea butter though?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Usually where you find things like essential oils and lotions.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic