Std and sti transfers

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
FIREWOLF
Awesomeness Quotient: Im nice and have a heart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He
Sexual identity: Strait

Std and sti transfers

Unread post by FIREWOLF »

I read your articles about the std's and I still don't understand. If a male and female who have not had any genital contact EVER, or even so much as kissed someone, and got tested and results came back negative for all std's and sti's, can they still contract an std or sti when having sex of any kind? You cant make an sti out of nothing can you?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Std and sti transfers

Unread post by Mo »

It's true that an STI can't appear out of nowhere! However, just because we call this group of infections "sexually transmitted," some of them can also be transmitted by nonsexual means. Herpes, for example, is sometimes transmitted through nonsexual kissing, so conceivably in this situation one person could get a platonic kiss from a relative who had an active cold sore, and then transmit that to their partner. Your chances of an STI entering the relationship are low if both people are monogamous, but we can't say they're at zero.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Std and sti transfers

Unread post by Heather »

(And to be sure it's clear, sex never "makes"
STIs, anyway. Viruses and parasites exist on their own, sexual activity is just one primary way some of them move from person to person.)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic