Cold sores

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like cats
Pronouns: She/her or They/Them

Cold sores

Unread post by Ihatemyusername »

Dumb question but as I was unloading my underwear from the clothes dryer, I found the chapstick I had been using during a cold sore outbreak had been somehow dried with them. It must have been in my pocket from a previous wash. Is it still safe to wear the underwear or am I at risk for spreading the virus down below? I figured the heat would kill it, but I wanted to double check. I don't think herpes can live long on fabric anyway, right? There are little pink stains from the chopstick. I only get cold sores. I have no reason to believe I have the virus anywhere else as of now.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Cold sores

Unread post by Jacob »

Hay!

I love this question! But as far as my expertise in laundry advice goes, I'll admit it's limited. As I understand it, herpes is neither airborne nor clothes-chapstick-drier-borne.

Good luck in your endeavour! I don't think herpes transmission will be an issue for you but if your clothes are convered in dry chapstick I say try giving it another wash.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie

Just a few flecks of color, not "covered" per se. It's not flakey, as in I can't scrape it off. It looks like a part of the pattern on the fabric if I didn't know any better. My washer just broke and I'm out of underwear so I was really hoping I wouldn't have to rewash it until next week when I get it replaced :oops:
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Since the underwear has been through the wash I'd say you're likely just fine. Herpes is spread by skin-to-skin contact, most commonly skin contact with an active sore, and it doesn't sound like there's any actual chapstick left, just a stain.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie

That's what I was thinking too. And since I've had the virus for years (mostly dormant), I was thinking/hoping autoinnoculation at this point would be improbable. Sound reasonable?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Sounds reasonable to me!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic