Timing of BC Pills

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Timing of BC Pills

Unread post by Karyn »

Stress and anxiety can make it difficult sometimes to absorb information and trust it, and can also make you think irrationally! We have a piece that might help you remember when you get anxious and start thinking irrationally that really, it's just your brain being a jerk: Anxiety Lies. If you're worried about any physical symptoms you have, the best person to ask about that is a doctor, particularly since you just started a new medication.

As for trusting your birth control, some folks find that they do have trouble trusting "invisible" methods that they can't see working, things like the pill or the ring. Having a read through this piece may help with that: Have a Little Faith in BC. You might also think about whether there's just too much room for error with the pill - maybe switching to something that's more foolproof like the IUD or the implant would help with your anxiety. Talking to your boyfriend about dialling way back on any kind of sexual activity until you get a handle on managing your anxiety is also likely to be a help.

I'm about to head out for the evening, so how about you take some time away from the computer too, and go do something relaxing and stress-relieving? If you want to talk about this some more tomorrow, there will be staff and volunteers to do that with you. Just so you're aware, though, we do have a policy about pregnancy scare anxiety posts: you have the information available to assess your own risk and we have given you links about testing and the effectiveness of your pill, and so we won't discuss risks or effectiveness anymore. If you keep asking us about those topics, we'll have to close the thread. However, we absolutely can keep talking about things you can do until you see your counselor, or how to talk to your boyfriend, or anything along those lines.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
millal12
not a newbie

Unread post by millal12 »

okay, i'm going to try to relieve some of my anxiety for the night. to put my anxiety at ease i'm also going to take a pregnancy test in the morning so that i can prove to myself that my doctors and the blood test didn't lie and that i'll be okay.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Hey millal12, just wanted to check in and see how you've been doing with managing your anxiety the last few days, and if you managed to have a chat with your boyfriend.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
millal12
not a newbie

Unread post by millal12 »

i've been good thank you! i did end up getting my period and talking to him thank you so much
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic