Period every 2 weeks

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
chickenkatsu
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Period every 2 weeks

Unread post by chickenkatsu »

Ever since I started my birth control in May, I've been having my period every two weeks, often for as 10 days. I only had a week between my current period and my last one, to the point where I am on my period more often than I'm not. I recently went to the doctor and did some blood tests and my thyroid results came out normal and my doctor said to wait it out, but how long do these irregularities typically last and is there anything I can do about it?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: Period every 2 weeks

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi chickenkatsu!

So... I am really sorry you are going through all that. Some people really struggle with hormonal birth control and I'm not sure we talk about it enough. Some decide not to take it anymore, whereas others find it to be something they can learn to manage, or which gets better over time. Sometimes the first few months can be a transition time (you have done a couple of months so far, so that could be you) but I guess no one can guarantee how long it might be for you, or if it's more long term, which probably why your doctor has reccommended you 'wait it out'.

Do you feel like you've had good discussions with your doctor about what your birth control options are if this doesn't get better?

Also what are the particular bad bits you have to deal with at the moment with regards to your period symptoms? Pain etc? Are you getting any advice on how to manage that?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
chickenkatsu
not a newbie

I did actually have an issue with my previous birth control (Lupin) becaue of bad congestion before switching to Glenmark. My overall symptoms are usuly better when I'm on it--my periods are lighter and I don't get cramps, but the irregularities have happened regardless of brand. The option my doctor posed if this doesn't work out is to get out of it, but the irregularities really are the worst problem and it's really interfering with intimacy with my boyfriend. We're supposed to go on vacation in August and I'm afraid it's going to occur then (although it shouldn't) because of how unpredictable it is.

Thank you for your response!
Jacob

Unread post by Jacob »

I see!

Have you and your boyfriend talked about it? A period doesn't need to prevent you from having sex if you want to... How would you say it interferes?
chickenkatsu
not a newbie

My boyfriend has a terrible fear of blood and gets very lightheaded at the sight of it—he nearly fainted before a blood donation and they decided not to let him go through with it. I can usually do oral or something on him but nothing penetrative, and because we live two hours apart and have very busy work schedules we are unable to do much beyond that when we do meet up because I'm usually on my period. It's frustrating for me and he just feels bad that he can do very little in return.

You mentioned earlier some people learn to manage it, what does that mean in particular and how do people go about it, unless that means they get used to it?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

hi chickenkatsu,

I know how you feel! I used to be super irregular and the worrying about when my period was going to surprise me next could be stressful. Figuring out what kinds of products suited me best and making sure I was always carrying helped manage that a little. However we feel about them periods are a thing that bodies do, and they don't have to be gross or shameful.

You mentioned that you feel restricted in the kinds of sex you and your boyfriend can have when you're on your period as he isn't comfortable with the blood. That's a normal response, but depending on what you both enjoy and are comfortable with doesn't have to stop you having all kinds of sex. Using things like tampons, diaphragms and menstrual cups can limit the appearance of blood and allow you to enjoy physical intimacy with your boyfriend and explore things you both enjoy without the mess (although tampon + penetrative vaginal intercourse = bad idea).

This article http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/sex_period has some good pointers on different options :) maybe you guys can talk about activities you both feel good about? What do you think?
chickenkatsu
not a newbie

Hi Kat! Since you mentioned your periods were really irregular, was it due to birth control or other factors, and how long did that last?

My boyfriend and I did actually try clitoral stimulation on a period once but he didn't feel too good about it and quite frankly neither did I. (I wasn't producing enough blood to comfortably slide a tampon in me but still enough so that it showed on the pad and we both felt really gross about the experience—aside from my period, I can't stomach the sight of blood either.) Overall we've just decided we're both more comfortable with non-vagina activities during my period, although it's still pretty annoying when we actually want penetrative sex.
Jacob

Unread post by Jacob »

Kat said it better than I could have!

I think, you know, if both of you feel that way about the idea of period blood that's much less avoidable.

In reality our bodies have lots of fluids doing their thing and sex can be pretty messy... So, if you were continuing to go there, you might find you get used to that. Our bodies do have a way reminding us that actually they are a gooey blob of stuff, and some amount of embracing that is always a good thing.

That said, if it doesn't feel doable, which is what you're saying, looking for other birth control options will likely be a good call once you go back to discussing this with your doctor.
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Since you mentioned your periods were really irregular, was it due to birth control or other factors, and how long did that last?
For me it wasn't birth control, my body is just like that, or was for the 4 years I had periods before birth control. Unfortunately we are all so different that using one body as a reference for what will happen to another body doesn't really work. I wish I could tell you something more definite!

I can second what Jason says, that if it doesn't settle over time talking to your doctor about other methods is always an option. We do need to wait out a bit of transition time and the instructions in your medication should indicate the average duration of that. I know that it can be hard to get your concerns about birth control taken seriously by your doctor but if they are dismissive I hope you remember that that is a reflection of them, not you.

If you and your partner don't feel good with vulva/vagina activities when you're on your period then you're right not to force it. You might find that over time you're able to embrace what Jason so aptly called the gooey blob of stuff that is our bodies but it's no fun when we're stressing out about them instead of focusing on the moment.
chickenkatsu
not a newbie

Thank you guys for your advice! My period ended yesterday, but that happened to also be the day when I start the placebo week (since my birth control is the 3-week pill with no placebo pills), so it came back full force starting today. Can this actually happen? How common is it? As of today my family's insurance ends and we won't have it again until my mother starts at her new job so I won't be able to see a doctor for a while.
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Ooof, back-to-back periods are never fun but they can definitely happen. As Jacob said up at the start of this thread, it may be that this is part of how your body reacts or adjusts to being on the pill. I would definitely plan on an appointment with a healthcare provider as soon as it becomes feasible so you can talk about your symptoms and what your options for addressing them are. Depending on how long it will be before your mom's job starts, it may be worth looking into nearby clinics that offer a sliding scale of payment so that you can get in and talk to someone about this sooner rather than later.
chickenkatsu
not a newbie

I realize it's been several months since I have last posted here, but as per my doctor's advice, I waited two months to see if the irregularities would settle. Unfortunately, they haven't. My period has extended to three weeks (typically a two-week period followed by the placebo pill week, back-to-back) and upon attempting to call my doctor to schedule an appointment last week, I was dismissed because they were busy and they did not call me back. I'm really concerned this means there's an underlying more serious problem, but it didn't start coming up until I took the pill, which I had only taken because my periods had gotten longer (extending from 8-10 days). My mother got screwed in that she lost her job due to the company moving, and the company who'd insisted they were hiring her for a good month now left her in the dust and does not respond to her calls, so we lose our health insurance starting October and I am unable to schedule an appointment before then. I'm not asking for a definite diagnosis on this board but if anyone has some suggestions as to what could be happening, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi chickenkatsu,

I'm sorry you're family is going through such a stressful time, and the the doctor's office is not being understanding. Have you tried calling them back and explaining what's happening (including the insurance situation)? You may also want to look into sexual health clinics in your area, as they're usually able to offer services on a sliding scale.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic