anti fungal and the pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
cj4289
not a newbie
Pronouns: her

anti fungal and the pill

Unread post by cj4289 »

I was prescribed two dexilants to be taken 3 days apart for a recurring yeast infection. This was prescribed by my gyno. However, I recently read somewhere that this medication can make the pill less effective. Is this true? My boyfriend and I usually use condoms, but two days ago we did not use a condom until the end, before he came. Planned Parenthood says only one type of anti fungal affects the pill, and it's not dexilant. I took my last pill on Sunday, the sex occurred on Tuesday. Should I be concerned about taking plan b? I have not missed or taken a birth control pill late
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: anti fungal and the pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi cj,

You can read about what does and does not effect your birth control here: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control
cj4289
not a newbie
Pronouns: her

Unread post by cj4289 »

Since the link does not explicitly state an anti fungal, are you saying I have no reason to worry?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Yes, if you do not see the substance you're concerned about listed, that generally means it is not cause for concern. However, if you want to double-check, your best bet is to call your pharmacist and ask them if you need to worry about the interactions between the two.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic