Weird period

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Jellyfish777
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm creative!!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight and cis

Weird period

Unread post by Jellyfish777 »

So I'm just finishing my inactive week on my second month of birth control. I got my period last month and had a negative test, plus my period this month with another negative test. My partner and I are very safe and use two methods of birth control properly. These past few days I've noticed thick brown blood along with my normal red menstration. However, I've also had a few very small grey clumps come out as well and they kind of worry me. I've read in many places that this could be due to a misscarriage but I don't see how that would be possible since I've gotten two negative tests. What could they be??
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Weird period

Unread post by al »

Hi Jellyfish,

Like you said, miscarriage isn't really a possibility for your situation because you a) had a period and b) got two negative pregnancy test results. More likely those little grey clumps are little bits of tissue or vaginal discharge.
A lot of people refer to menstrual fluid as "blood", but in reality, it's mostly comprised of tissue clumps and mucus that make up the uterine lining. That fluid can be a bunch of reddish and brownish colors, and everything in between. Clots and clumps can vary too - the only time to be concerned about those is if they are accompanied with pain and/or lots of bright red blood. And even outside of the period, the vagina goes through natural cleaning cycles where greyish-whitish discharge comes out (and the only time to be concerned about that would be when it's accompanied with pain, itching, and/or has a very strong fishy smell). So, long answer short, what you're describing sounds perfectly normal - just a vagina taking care of itself.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Jellyfish777
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm creative!!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight and cis

Re: Weird period

Unread post by Jellyfish777 »

Thank you! I didn't think it would be too big of an issue but that's good to know!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic