Yeast Vs Bacteria

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
TheConfusedOne
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm A Rider. Nuff Said.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi-Curious

Yeast Vs Bacteria

Unread post by TheConfusedOne »

Hi,

And so, I seem to have gotten an infection again. It's not my first time getting yeast OR bacteria infections, but for some reason, I can never ever differentiate between them. My discharge has always had a sourish smell to it, I'm not sure if it's just sweat or my diet or the pantyliner I use (it's unscented, but eh, these pad companies are all suspicious! :P ). But whatever it is, it means I can't rely on smell to tell the difference between the infections. Whenever I have yeast, and it is confirmed to be yeast, it smells sourish anyway!

- From what I understand, yeast creates thick and clumpy discharge that breaks up easily when played with. What about bacteria?
- I know both cause itching, but does one cause MORE itching than the other, or is it at average the same?
- What usually happens when one has BOTH infections at the same time? (I've had that happen before, but I don't remember details)
- The article you have on bacteria says that allergic reactions can cause the BV infection. What do you mean? Because I had a flu-like episode last week that my fiance and I are suspecting to be an allergic reaction rather than flu. I'm planning to have this tested out soon, but in the meantime... Seems very coincidental that I'd get an infection shortly after I stopped having fevers!

(Although, I also had manual sex with my fiance the day before the itching started... :oops: )

I first suspected bacteria when I started itching because there was pretty much no discharge present. But on the 3rd day of the itching, I started getting discharge that was sometimes thick, sometimes thin, sometimes clumpy, sometimes stringy... They always broke up easily when I play with them though. The itching has also gotten REALLY itchy and I'm now scratching rather than rubbing to relieve it, which is bad obviously, but I can't help it >.<

Because of this confusion, I'm wary about self-diagnosing, which my mum seems to be very fond of. I'm not always able to see a doctor either because this country has stupid restrictions like "real doctor working hours" and "back up doctors who may simply be students doing part time jobs during the real doctor's off hours". Aka, back up doctors who almost always misdiagnose or give wrong medications. I'd like to finally be able to tell the differences for future reference as well as see if I can calm this itching storm before I hurt myself scratching!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Yeast Vs Bacteria

Unread post by Heather »

Really, the average person is NOT going to be able to tell the difference a lot of the time. We just can't be our own doctors much of the time when it comes to genital infections.

As well, if someone is getting frequent infections, something is up that does need to be addressed by a healthcare professional. Self-treating, or not treating at all, can be a route to serious health problems. Since you seem to be, we can only responsibly advise you make an appointment with a qualified reproductive health care provider. Do be sure to let them know your history, and the this isn't a one-time thing, but that you are having frequent infections.

So, at this point
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
TheConfusedOne
not a newbie

I actually haven't had an infection in a few months before this recent one. I'm usually able to tell the difference with the amount of discharge I get when I have yeast, but for some reason, I have little to no discharge this time! That's why I'm so confused.

I AM trying to see if I can see a real doctor asap, because I'm travelling on Wednesday and itches on the plane is a terrible idea! I'm just not sure if my mum is able to take time off work to take me to the clinic, because that's when the "real doctors" are available... when everyone else is working too... >.<

It just would be nice to know if there were other differences BESIDES smell and discharge.
TheConfusedOne
not a newbie

Managed to go to the doc this morning. She says it's fungal infection and told me that I apparently damaged the skin on my labia minora slightly from scratching xD Oops! She also said there were white discharge deeper in the folds of my labia, which I suppose is what differentiates yeast from bacteria? I had white spots on the itchy parts of my labia minora too, which she also noticed. They had a rough feeling, instead of the usual smooth feeling of the skin there, kinda like goosebumps. Weird o.O

Do these white spots happen for bacteria infections?

She gave me an insert instead of an oral pill, for the first time, to combat the infection. I've never used a tampon before, so I was a bit nervous about an applicator... and good reason too! That was quite tough to slide in because I dried myself thoroughly before trying! Oof, that burn >.< I thought I had to be dry to apply, as I usually read! I had to masturbate to try and self lubricate my vagina before trying again lol. Man, the instructions given with these medications should warn about being lubricated. Note to self, be lubricated no matter what!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I'm sorry the treatment was uncomfortable to insert, but hopefully it'll clear things up and give you some relief! I'm glad you were able to get in to see a doctor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic