Lube & Compatibility with Them

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
TheConfusedOne
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm A Rider. Nuff Said.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bi-Curious

Lube & Compatibility with Them

Unread post by TheConfusedOne »

Hi,

So my fiance and I have been using this lube (Anjou Personal Lubricant Water-Based) for a couple months now and I've always noticed a burning sensation in my vagina whenever we used it. Unfortunately, for the couple months that we've been using it, I didn't realise it was the lube causing it. I kept thinking maybe it was his precum being very hot... but then, he claims that my vagina was really hot too. How can his precum's temperature burn me, if I'm at the same or similar temperature? Couple weeks ago, he dripped the lube directly onto my vaginal opening and it instantly burned. We immediately stopped using it and have not tried anything besides masturbation since.

My questions are: Will I experience the same burning sensation regardless of lube brand? Or is it just this one specific brand? (Basically, is it me or is it the lube?)

I'm a bit wary about buying another brand of lube right now because if it DID burn as well, that's just outright a waste of money. Bad enough that we barely used 1 inch of this 8oz bottle of lube... Any recommendations on lube that will not burn?

Thanks
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Lube & Compatibility with Them

Unread post by Karyn »

Some people are sensitive or allergic to certain ingredients in lube, and it sounds like that might be the case here. It's definitely worth trying out a few different brands, since not all water-based lubes contain the same ingredients, and it's pretty unlikely that you would have the same reaction to all of them. There's no need to buy full-size bottles of every kind you want to try: some online condom and lube retailers will have sampler packs with several one-use packets of lube, or if you can get to an adult store/sex toy store you may be able to test a few drops of different types on your hands to see which ones you might react to. The "slippery slope stockpile" from Lucky Bloke (put together just for Scarleteen!) is one example of a sampler pack: http://www.scarleteen.com/condom_shop

This piece also has a section on the ingredients that people are most likely to be sensitive to, so you can look for ones without those ingredients: Lube 101: A Slick Little primer
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
TheConfusedOne
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm A Rider. Nuff Said.
Sexual identity: Bi-Curious

Re: Lube & Compatibility with Them

Unread post by TheConfusedOne »

Oh, now that is interesting. I never knew there were sampler packs available. I'm not sure testing them at adult stores will help though, because this current lube feels fine on my labia. It's just when it gets INTO my vagina where it starts to burn. I'll start looking around for sampler packs though, now that I know they exist!

Thanks! I'll even start reading for those specific ingredients too!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic