Birth Control Experiences: The Pill

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Birth Control Experiences: The Pill

Unread post by Johanna »

For those looking into the different methods of birth control to find what's right for them, here's one of several threads where users can report their experiences with a given method so that other users can get a more personal idea of what using a given method is like when they're looking into what might work best for them.

If you have used or do use the birth control pill, please report on it in the following format:

Pros: List what you have experienced as the pros or benefits -- the good parts -- of using this method.

Cons: List what you've experienced as the downsides or cons of using this method.

Ease of use: Talk about how easy -- or not -- it's been for you and/or your partner to use, access and afford this method, how it's worked out in your relationships, etc.

Effectiveness: Talk about how well this method has protected you from pregnancy, and if it ever has failed, note that, including any explanation of how or why, if you know or suspect how or why.

Feel free to also add any extra notes, hints or tips!

(Originally posted here by Heather.)
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Ruth
not a newbie
Sexual identity: Queer/lesbian

Re: Birth Control Experiences: The Pill

Unread post by Ruth »

Pros: Very easy, didn't get in the way of any spontaneity, easily settled into my daily routine into something I didn't think about

Cons: Because it doesn't feel like you're actually using anything (compared to a barrier method, where there is very obviously A Contraceptive right there), I was quite anxious about it's effectiveness whenever I had a late period.

Easy of use: Well, I got mine on the NHS, so that was entirely affordable for me. It was also pretty easy to get - I got three months at a time, and then just went to fill in my repeat prescription at my local pharmacy when that ended. I'm already someone who has to take medication on a regular basis, so remembering to take it was never an issue, either.

EffectivenessThe method 100% totally protected me from pregnancy, even with occasional imperfect use. (Which, obviously, I don't recommend.)
Peonies
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Sexual identity: cis female

Unread post by Peonies »

I reviewed on the old boards, but I will review again here for quick reference for other users AND that my experience has changed! So here is my update:

Pros:
-Highly effective at preventing pregnancy
-Helps keep my periods less painful (helps my endometriosis; reduces cramps, mood swings, acne.)
-Keeps cycle regular
-Helps reduce the risk of certain cancers (my mom had ovarian cancer, and other reproductive cancers run in our family for people with uteruses)
-Easy to use - just one pill a day
-I am in control of my body and administering my own contraception. I know that I very rarely mess up with my pills. :)

Cons:
-Monthly refills
-Although my partner and I almost always use condoms, it feels weird to use protection that you can't "see" working. Even though I know it is there, it feels like we aren't using anything.

Ease of Use:
Easy, just take one pill a day. It soon becomes a habit such as brushing your teeth. When I first started the pill, I set an alarm on my phone to help me remember but I rarely rely on the alarm anymore.

Effectiveness:
Highly effective for me and my partner. Although we use condoms as well almost every time, I know that if the condom fails I have GREAT back-up!

It took me a while to adjust to the pill, but once I did I had a great experience with it.
Formerly CraftyKid
Infinitea
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make a mean origami dragon
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by Infinitea »

I was originally on Alesse, before switching to a different brand whose name I don't remember. I cumulatively used the pill for a little over 2 years.

Pros:
  • Greatly reduced my cramps and all pain associated with my period.
  • Made my period, which was previously erratic, extremely regular and reduced its heaviness.
  • Having added protection with the use of condoms made me feel much more comfortable.
Cons:
  • For someone forgetful like myself I found it challenging to remember to take it and found I often started/ended sex worrying about whether or not I had taken it. I managed to forget my pill on several occasions and I even lost a pack I was half way through at one point. Overall not the best fit for my level of attention. I should note that this was also exacerbated by the fact I was living at home at the time and had to keep it hidden from my mother.
  • Required refilling my prescription every three months and getting my prescription renewed every six months. This became a hassle for me as the pharmacy was always a little out of the way and my health provider was not near my home.
  • Was not entirely discrete, in that you have to store your birth control somewhere and hiding it away is only likely to increase your chance of missing one. At the time having a discrete method was important to me and feeling like I had to hide the pills impacted how well I used the method. While storing it in my wallet was sufficient, it would still have been obvious to any one who looked in my wallet and I worried about my mother finding it. I should note that some pills come in more discrete packages than others.
Ease of use:
  • In theory very easy to use (and popping it in your mouth is easy) but as I mentioned above, having to remember a pill every day was not a good fit for me and I forgot multiple times.
  • I also mentioned the refill issue above but would add that, although it was a pain, it was never an issue getting a prescription from the doctor's or getting my prescription filled.
Effectiveness:
  • Despite my not perfect use (which I wouldn't recommend) I never got pregnant. However, I did also back up with condoms the majority of the time.
acb
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/ her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by acb »

Pros: I find it easy to remember to take it, there's no pausing during sex and it feels better without condoms for my partner and I and I swim a lot so it's nice to know exactly when I'm getting my period.

Cons: Got a bit spotty and my breasts got bigger the first few months I was on it until my body got used to it but the spots went away after a while. I get really thrown off when I travel across time zones about when I'm supposed to take it too, in case that applies to anyone who travels a lot.

Ease of use: NHS again! Very easy to pick up and free. I've been on it for three years now so they give me a year's supply if I need it.

Effectiveness: No babies yet so it's looking good.
Peachy52
not a newbie

Unread post by Peachy52 »

Pros: it's an effective form of birth control that is inexpensive for my family, so I always have easy access to it. Also, I find it very convenient since I know that as long as I take it correctly I'm always protected. An extra perk is always knowing exactly what day of the month I will get my period, which I think is great!!

Cons: it can be easy to forget about taking it if you aren't used to it. For me, I also struggled with feeling like I was truly protected from pregnancy from the pill, since I couldn't actually see it working. I had to learn to just trust that it worked the way it was supposed to.

Ease of use: once you get used to taking it BC pills are pretty easy. I prefer taking a pill daily over having to unwrap a condom every time I do anything sexual with my boyfriend. (Although we do use condoms anyway.) To make sure I was using it correctly I set an alarm on my phone to remind me every day. This made it very easy for me to take the pill properly.

Effectiveness: so far so good!! No babies! I also experience lighter, shorter periods with less cramps. I definitely recommend the Pill as a form of birth control.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic