Need help quick.

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Tasha105
not a newbie

Re: Need help quick.

Unread post by Tasha105 »

Because I'm trying to see was that was my period or was it just withdrawal bleeding cause I heard if you take the pill before ovulation it tricks your body into thinking ovulation already happened so that's why it triggers your period is to come early is this true? Does withdrawal bleeding only happen for a day or does it continue?
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi tasha,

Emergency contraception can have all different kinds of effects on bleeding: a period/withdrawal bleed may be early, or it may be late; it may be heavier than normal, or it may be lighter. So there's no way to really predict what will happen for you. Also, a period and withdrawal bleed are pretty much the same thing--they are the body's response to a drop in hormone levels, whether as a result of hormone added via hormonal contraception methods, or the body's own biological processes. Either way, bleeding is a good sign that you are not pregnant. :) It's also impossible to say when you will ovulate next after you take EC, which is why it's important to remember that EC is intended only for unprotected sex that has already happened, not for sex that happens after you take it.

How did things go with Planned Parenthood? Were you able to talk with someone about STI screening, etc?
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
Tasha105
not a newbie

Started bleeding today & it's red so I think this is my period for sure! Now I'm gonna be super careful. Thanks you guys!
Tasha105
not a newbie

& it's pretty heavy so I know this isn't implantation bleeding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic