Getting Birth Control?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Olivia15
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Getting Birth Control?

Unread post by Olivia15 »

So recently ive decided I want to try getting on the pill for a number of reasons. As my boyfriend and I have been dating longer and things are starting to get more heated, we wanted to get me on the pill as a safety precaution just in case we decide to have sex in the future (we're both virgins, but we've been thinking/talking about it for a while). Together, we decided not to have sex until I get on the pill to keep us safe. Also, it would calm my nerves about doing activities such as showering together and manual/oral sex (which i KNOW doesn't result in pregnancy but I can't help but worry anyways). Aside from sexual reasons, I think it would be good because my period comes at really irregular times, and when it DOES come i get really terrible stomach and back pain.

As you can see, i've put a lot of thought into this. However, I'm 17 and I live at home, and I know my parents are disapproving of birth control, and disapproving of sexual activity at my age. I'm just trying to do the responsible thing and keep myself safe tho, because I know at my age I can't have a baby. How can I get on the pill? I'm on my parents insurance, and neither me or my boyfriend works rn, so we can't make money to pay for it ourselves. Even after I got the pill, how could I hide it and keep it secret? Is it a bad idea to hide this kind of thing from my parents?

Thank youuu
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Getting Birth Control?

Unread post by Heather »

The pill may or may not help with your menstrual issues (that'd really depend on the why of them), but a healthcare provider you'd see to talk about the pill or other methods of birth control could address that with you, too.

We don't generally advise that people sneak to have sex or use birth control while living at home and in a home where sex is considered not-okay, because that's usually a recipe for disaster. But we do also support people who know there are big risks, and still make the choice to do that. Too, if neither of you have any ability to do things like get condoms and sexual healthcare lie STI testing, we'd generally suggest waiting until you can actually work those things out, since they're a big part of people actually having what they need to be ready to have sex in a healthy, safe way.

To see a sexual healthcare provider, and get and use a method like the pill, if that turns out to be a right one for you, you could do so using your family insurance, but you would want to check with that provider or your insurance company first to see what would show up on statements your family sees if you wanted to hide that.

Otherwise, you could use -- and hello, fellow Seattle-area person! :) -- one of the healthcare services we have in or around Seattle that offer birth control and other sexual healthcare on a sliding scale. We also have a state-funded system here in WA, called TakeCharge, that you could apply for (and if you're a minor, it doesn't matter that you have insurance, you could still get and use it regardless) that covers any method or methods of birth control -- so, for instance, both the pill AND condoms -- as well as a basic annual exam and pap smear (but not STI testing, sadly). Your boyfriend could apply as well, btw, and that would have him covered for free condoms, too.

For more information on that, and how and where to apply, check out: http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservice ... harge.aspx
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Olivia15
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Olivia15 »

So what i understand is that I can get things like the pill and condoms for free due to Washington programs. But what about initially visiting the doctor? I'm with group health, and usually going in for an appointment can cost a lot of money... I'm not sure if this kind of thing is covered by my insurance (or how insurance even really works!) Would I have to pay for this visit out of my own pocket? Or could I go and talk to them about my situation? sorry for so many questions, I'm really confused about how insurance and health care facilities really work
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

So, part of what TakeCharge covers is that initial -- one per year -- visit with an OB/GYN. So, what you'd do to work this this way, is look in that list of providers linked on that page, pick one closest to you. Then call them, tell them you want to schedule a visit with the aim of seeking out birth control, and want to apply for TakeCharge while you're there so that it pays for the exam, consult AND whatever BC you choose.

In other words, qualifying providers for the program will let you make an appointment and apply for the program while you're there so it covers all those costs. :)

Here's the link from that page up there that specifically lists qualifying providers: http://www.hca.wa.gov/medicaid/familypl ... ctory.aspx

(And don't sweat it, this is part of what we're here to help with. Learning to navigate your own healthcare is potentially as confusing -- sometimes more so! -- than learning to navigate your sexuality. :))
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic