UTI Prevention?

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Nonsequitur
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’ve survived a week without crying
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her, They/Them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

UTI Prevention?

Unread post by Nonsequitur »

I’m new here, so sorry if this question breaks the forum’s rules. Apologizing in advance.

I’ve been exploring my sexual side with a recently bought sex-toy that I use externally and internally. Although, even being washed (or even boiled) in hot, soapy water this toy continues to give me a UTI (a urinary track infection)
(I wash this thing before and after)

Who knows, maybe it’s something else, but I’ve concluded since I’ve got two UTIs between two months by after a day or two of using the toy.
(I’ve never, ever got a UTI before using the toy)

Remember, this toy is made of rubber, so it’s possible that it can be that bacteria can be stored in the rubber’s pores.
(But... wouldn’t bacteria go away after boiling?)

I’m guessing I have to possibly result to condoms, but I don’t think much retail grocery stores are going to allow a teenager to openly buy them.

One more thing, my mom says to take “breaks” from using a toy after my UTI goes away. How long would someone recommend to take a break from any activity with a toy?

I’ll like literally any advice do spill the beans about how to have clean, sexual fun.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: UTI Prevention?

Unread post by Heather »

Can I check first that these UTIs were treated? In other words, you got them, then did a full round of antibiotics prescribed for them and they were verified as treated by a healthcare provider?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

(Just FYI, anyone can buy condoms. There’s no age limit in grocery stores or elsewhere on who can purchase them.)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Nonsequitur
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’ve survived a week without crying
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her, They/Them
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Nonsequitur »

The first time, I got full antibiotics from the ER. Because yes, my UTI was that awful. I had very bad symptoms. I was prescribed two weeks of medication.

The second time, it’s very confusing. I’ve noticed symptoms of a UTI, so I decided to take those over-the-counter Azo pills, which stopped the most common symptoms. And I made sure to drink lots of water.
After two days, I had no symptoms and I ran out of Azo pills.
Was going to recall my doctor for a renewal of the previous pills from the ER but she never recalled my house back.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It sounds like your trouble may be that you have a UTI that wasn’t ever fully cured, maybe from the first time, and almost certainly the second, since you only treated the symptoms, not the actual infection.

I would actually suggest you make an appointment to go in instead of just asking for another prescription. Start there, and then we can see what your doc says?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic