What is the safe sex period?

Naina asks:

What is the safe sex period? Is it is necessary to use precautions every time while having sex? As I am getting married soon and sometimes I don't want to use any precaution and same time I don't want to get pregnant? Please guide me.

Before you get married, make sure both you and your husband have had a full screen for sexually transmitted diseases. When you see your doctor for the tests, ask about birth control options like birth control pills so you can start on those two or three months prior to the wedding. While one should never assume anything, I'm going to bank on the fact that if you're marrying your fiancé, then your relationship with him has been mutually monogamous for some time (for everybody's sake, let's hope I'm not wrong).

When you practice safer sex by using condoms and a secondary birth control method, you are protecting yourself against sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. Using these methods, all days are equal in terms of risk and fertility (or lack thereof). But in a long-term (more than 12 months) mutually monogamous relationship, if you and your partner both test negative for STDs then you can choose to accept a reduced level of risk and proceed to have a sexual relationship without condoms. So it's up to you and your partner to decide whether you think it's worth the risks to have sex with one less birth control and protection method.

With that said, many long term and married couples enjoy healthy, active sex lives while continuing to use condoms and another birth control method.