Skip to main content

Semen in eyes

Share |
Josh asks:

My boyfriend and I just had manual sex,and after arousing him..his ejaculate shot into my eye by mistake. Can this cause an infection? My eye is very red and is paining badly. What do you suggest I do??

Heather Corinna replies:

Ideally, after something like this, you'd want to flush your eye out with a lot of water, as an immediate measure.

But more ideally, you don't want to get semen in your eyes. That absolutely poses a risk of infection -- as well as hurting like nobody's business -- including sexually transmitted diseases. So, if you're going to be that up-close to a male partner during manual sex where it's even remotely possible semen could get in your eyes, you'll want them to be wearing a condom.

I'd suggest you be sure and follow this up with a visit to your doctor, especially if you and your partner aren't sure about his STI status (and by sure, I mean, have a copy of his recent test results in your hands), and/or you have any continued pain, swelling or drainage from your eye.

written 08 Jul 2007 . updated 13 Dec 2012

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.