Is masturbation good for your health?

Suresh asks:

Is masturbation is good for your health?

David replies:

Hi Suresh,

It's certainly not bad for you and yes, there's lots of evidence that sexual activity, including masturbation, are good for your health. For men there's evidence that frequent ejaculation lowers the risk of prostate cancer. For everyone there's evidence that sexual arousal and orgasms mildly boost for the heart and immune system.

On a personal level I'm over 50 years old and I've masturbated once or twice a day since I was a teenager. I won't say that's what's helped me stay healthy all these years because it could be other things like a healthier diet, getting better exercise, reducing stress in my life, or any of a thousand other possibilities. But I will say I'm in much better health today than I was in my teens.

figleaf

written 27 Jul 2007 . updated 20 Dec 2012

Going off to college can be an exciting time: a chance to learn new things, meet new people, and have new freedoms and adventures. But it can also be a stressful time, especially if it's the first...
Pop Quiz: What activity can help you de-stress, fall asleep, and, for most people, also feels quite nice? If you answered "masturbation," congratulations, you are correct! Yay! Now, for a bonus...