Is masturbation good for your health?

Suresh asks:

Is masturbation is good for your health?

David replies:

Hi Suresh,

It's certainly not bad for you and yes, there's lots of evidence that sexual activity, including masturbation, are good for your health. For men there's evidence that frequent ejaculation lowers the risk of prostate cancer. For everyone there's evidence that sexual arousal and orgasms mildly boost for the heart and immune system.

On a personal level I'm over 50 years old and I've masturbated once or twice a day since I was a teenager. I won't say that's what's helped me stay healthy all these years because it could be other things like a healthier diet, getting better exercise, reducing stress in my life, or any of a thousand other possibilities. But I will say I'm in much better health today than I was in my teens.

written 27 Jul 2007 . updated 20 Dec 2012

Pop Quiz: What activity can help you de-stress, fall asleep, and, for most people, also feels quite nice? If you answered "masturbation," congratulations, you are correct! Yay! Now, for a bonus...
All bodies are different: this is not likely breaking news to you. Some people have short, coarse hair; some have long, flowing locks. Some people are small and slight; some are tall and muscular....