Condoms and lubricant: when a little dab will do ya

Anonymous asks:

I'm 26; I couldn't come the past few times me and my girlfriend of 6 months have had sex. Of course I use condoms every time, I have come before with no problem. Is there a lubricant I can use on my penis before I put the condom on?

Jhames replies:

Hi, Anon. Heather asked me to become a sexpert for Scarleteen, and your question is my first to answer for the site. Truly, this is a pivotal moment in all our lives. A moment, if you will. Thank you.

Before I answer your question, everyone should take a minute to click over to Condom Basics: A User's Manual and read the basics of what you need to know when it comes to, well, coming. Now that we've all brushed up on our basics, let's see how condoms and lubricants can work together.

Water-based lubricants are optimal for latex and silicone condoms. KY and Astroglide are both water-based and readily available in most major grocery stores or pharmacies. Place a few drops of lube in the condom before unrolling it over your penis, and don't be afraid to use a little more on the outside for the benefit of your girlfriend. Be forewarned that KY sells a new line of self-heating lube, but I would not recommend using that for sex if you haven't already tested it when you masturbate.

NEVER use petroleum-based products with latex condoms, the combination of the two will cause the condom wall weaken and easily break during sex. NEVER use silicone-based lube with silicone condoms, the two will fuse together in the most unpleasant of ways.

Hopefully I did this question and answer process right. More importantly, I hope I answered your question, Anon!

I once received a letter asking me what else sex was, besides vaginal penetration. We need to remember that all vaginal penetration -- nor all genital or "sexual" contact -- is not sex for all...