Can I use the shower head?

Annie asks:

I am 17, and for a long time I have been masturbating using the shower head. My only question really is if there is any danger in that?

There's only a problem if you've been trying to insert the shower head. But I'm going to assume that's not what you are doing.

The pressure from a shower stream is not forceful enough to cause any damage to the genitals. Water is harmless. Using shower spray for masturbation is no more harmful than simply cleaning your genitals during a bath. Just make sure to only use water. Soap, bubble baths and body washes can irritate your genitals and urethra and result in urinary tract infections. You'd know if soap got into your urethra: it BURNS! Other than that, if it's just water, then you'll be fine.

written 04 Sep 2007 . updated 03 Jan 2013

Get your hands on S.E.X.: the in-depth and inclusive teen and young adult sexuality book by Heather Corinna! This 2007 Lambda Literary Award nominee covers everything from STIs to sexual orientation...
The next time anyone tells you that only losers masturbate, or that they don't, and never would, bear this in mind: according to most studies and surveys, about 95% of adults have masturbated or...