After orgasm

asks:

After I climax I feel tingly all over. It's like I'm paralyzed, especially in my hands and arms. I can barely move and it takes me a couple of minutes to calm down and perform regular tasks like getting dressed...is this normal?

Absolutely!

Understand that orgasm isn't really a genital event: rather, it's a whole body event, one that takes place primarily in your nervous system and cardiovascular system, but which we feel effects of in our genitals as well, and which genital sex often causes.

So, your heart rate goes up during arousal and orgasm, your sensory nerve endings get all tweaked, your muscles tighten and contract -- it's a LOT that's going on in your body.

When orgasm is finished, there is a stage of resolution, in which your body is getting itself back to normal and recuperating. For some people, or sometimes, they may feel the way they did before arousal and orgasm within a few minutes, and for others, or at other times, it can even take a couple of hours.

One of the nicest things about orgasm is that deep feeling of relaxation, a sort of full-body buzz and well-being afterwards, so give yourself some time to enjoy it!

written 16 Jun 2007 . updated 06 Dec 2012

Sound studies have been done which show that abstinence-only sex education -- the kind that only says to "just say no" and doesn't provide any other information -- isn't working, something many...
I'm 15 and I have a wonderful boyfriend who I am very much in love with. My boyfriend is the sweetest, gentlest, most caring person I have met in a while and I know he really cares about me and it's...