A little penis inside my vagina?

mella5 asks:

It feels as if there is a tiny penis inside of my vagina. When I took my first trip to the gyno, she didn't say anything was weird... so what is it?

Most likely, it's just your cervix.

The cervix is the end of your uterus, or the beginning, depending on how you look at it, and the cervix and cervical canal jut into the back of the vagina. When you're not highly aroused (arousal usually will pull the cervix further back), you can usually feel it by placing your finger inside, and given that it is a bit tubular, and also has a small opening on the end, it's easy to see why you might think it resembles a penis.

Next time you're at the gynecologist, you can even ask him or her to take out a mirror when they're doing your speculum exam so you can get a look at it: it's a pretty cool thing to do, and will likely clear things up for you.

For more on your sexual anatomy, have a look here: Pink Parts - Female Sexual Anatomy.

written 13 Aug 2007 . updated 27 Dec 2012

A few months ago I woke up in the middle of the night with intense pain on the right side of my abdomen. I then had diarrhea and threw up twice. The pain in my side was like nothing I’d ever...
If we had to make a list of the top five questions we've gotten at the site over the last few years, "What's wrong with my labia?" would come right on the heels of "Am I pregnant?" "What's sex like...